Category Archives: Quick Slants
Week 2 is officially in the books. A pretty entertaining finish to the Monday Night game which saw the Colts win despite possessing the ball for less than 15 minutes, a first in NFL history.
Here are today’s great reads:
- T.O. is at it again this time ripping Tony Romo on twitter. (Shutdown Corner)
- Mark Sanchez and other young QB’s playing great. (MMQB)
- Eli proved he’s worth the money on Sunday. (Bleacher Report)
- Could Brady Quinn lose his job already? (Rumors and Rants)
- Are the Jaguars in for a long season? (NFL Gridiron Gab)
- What about the Titans? (The Big Lead)
- A Redskin’s rookie called out the Skins fans on twitter. (Deadspin)
- Which NFL stars are bound to have a TV show after they retire? (Pyle of List)
- JaMarcus Russell can’t throw the football. (Sports Data Hub)
- What’s up with Matt Fortes struggles? (Bleacher Report)
Not much big news going on today in the NFL. I turned on SportsCenter and heard T.O. was at it again but was extremely let down when I heard the comments. He didn’t say much and ESPN is blowing it way out of proportion like usual. With that, week 2 is fastly approaching and to keep you busy we have some great reads for you to check out:
Playoffs already? Check out the absurdly premature playoff picture. (Shutdown Corner)
Speaking of playoffs, what are your teams odds of making them after week one? (Accusocre)
Don’t overreact to week one but there a few things to take away from it. (Yahoo! Sports)
Week 2 Previews and Predictions (NFL Touchdown)
Jets saftey Kerry Rhodes wants to embarrass the Patriots this week. (NY Daily News)
Chad Ochocinco has some plans for an end zone dance against the Packers this week. (FanSided)
Buffalo fans not taking the loss to the Pats lightly. (Buffalo Low Down)
Is fantasy football more popular than the NFL? (The League)
The 10 dumbest plays from the weekend. (Favre Dollar Footlongs)
Mike Martz isn’t Jay Cutler’s biggest fan. (EDS Football)
The top 17 movie quarterbacks of all time. (FanSided)
Darius Heyward-Bey’s thoughts on his first game where he caught zero balls and dropeed two passes: “solid.” (SF Chronicle)
Well, the first Sunday of the season is in the books and boy was is great to have football back. Plenty of story lines from week one but the one everyone will be talking about is Donvan McNabb and his ribs. As of now Andy Reid hasn’t ruled him out for next week but he more than likely will miss the game. Don’t expect Vick to b starting anytime soon as he is not ready as evidenced by his preseason showing. Also not to be forgotten was the Broncos improbable win over the Bengals.
Now onto to today’s great reads:
- It only gets worse for the Bears who will now be without Brian Urlacher. (Chicago Tribune)
- Go beyond the box score of yesterdays games. (Rotoworld)
- Chris Collinsworth is sorry about old video that popped up on the internet recently. (Deadspin)
- The always informative Peter King tackles week one and some of the impressive performances. (MMQB)
- A great analysis on injuries and their impacts on their teams. (Football Outsiders)
- Who were the five least valuable players on Sunday? (Shutdown Corner)
- An informative and entertain week one recap. (The Big Lead)
- Joe Buck Live is coming back! Unfortunately, Artie Lange won’t be. (Awful Announcing)
Well were one week closer to football that actually matters. In just under three weeks there will be football on Sundays and the world will be right again.
The preseason injury bug did take another vitctim this weekend, Jon Beason who will reportedly miss 4-6 weeks, but it hasn’t been that bad (knock on wood) this season.
With that said here are some of today’s must reads.
- In his Monday Morning Quarterback column Peter King talks about the Cowboys new stadium and the Brandon Marshall situation among other things. (Peter King)
- Jerry Jones blames the Titans punter, A.J. Trapasso, for hitting his beloved video screen. (Shutdown Corner)
- Is a QB controversy brewing in Washington? (NFL Gridiron Gab)
- Is Rex Ryan good or bad for the league? (Pro Football Talk)
- An update on some intriguing position battles. (Rotoworld)
- Ever wonder what your favorite player was like during high school? (Pyle of List)
- Adrian Peterson’s favorite video game: Duck Hunter. (Gobbler Country)
- A rap about how much Jay Cutler sucks. (Chicago Now)
Well it what possibly is the most overplayed story in the history of sports media Brett Favre has finally decided to come back and play for the arch rival Vikings this season. Prediction: Brett doesn’t play bad but not good enough to get the Vikes into the playoffs as they finish 9-7 one game behind the Packers. Now check out today’s hot clicks:
- Breaking News: Plax pleads guilty; gets two years in jail and can kiss his NFL career bye. (NY Daily News)
- Get your Brett Favre Vikings Jersey! Practice Jersey that is. (No Guts, No Glory)
- Brandon Marshall’s situation is looking oftley similar to T.O.’s second year in Philly. (Bob Glauber)
- With the biggest attention whore back in the NFL who else makes the top 10? (The World of Issac)
- It turns out Bret Favre’s real passion is acting. (Ballhype)
- Is Matt Cassel headed toward the bench? (Bronco Talk)
- Tony Gonzo is having a little trouble in Falcons camp. (Arrowhead Addict)
It was a great sports weekend that featured Tiger blowing a last round league to a nobody, Usain Bolt breaking his own world record, and the first full weekend of NFL Football!
Now on to today’s links:
- The story that just won’t die. Now unnamed Vikings players believe Brett Favre is coming back. (FOX Sports)
- In his Monday Morning Quarterback Column Peter King tackles Michael Vick, training camps, and more. (Peter King)
- Eli Manning isn’t worried about his stats. (Sports Radio Interviews)
- The Fifth Down believes Michael Vick (The Fifth Down)
- Will Donovan McNabb and Michale join the list of great duos? (Thunder Treats)
- Ten facts you need to know about L.T. (Sports Data Hub)
- How would you change the NFL? (Men’s Journal)
- Who has the lead in the quarterback battles? (Shutdown Corner)
- The Philadelphia Eagles take home the Jerks of the Year Award. (Walter Football)
- The Raiders are fighting and it’s not the players. (National Football Post)
- Many players have been “catching on” in training camp. (Joe Sports Fan)
- Get your Eagles Dog Jersey. (Philadelphia Eagles Store)
Here are some of today’s top stories and reads.
- Michael Crabtree sitting out this season and entering the 2010 NFL Draft (Niners Nation)
- If Roger Goodell allowed twittering during games what would we see? (Sharapova’s Thigh)
- The future for Colts long time assistants Howard Mudd and Tom Moore (Indy Star)
- Phillips Rivers isn’t an elite quarterback (Souvenir City)
- Jay Cutler badmouths Denver fans (Predominantly Orange)
- Kyle Orton is booed during a team scrimmage (Yahoo Sports)
- Which players won’t return to their team in 2010 (Football Jabber)
- Who would you build a franchise around? (Foul Pole to Foul Pole)
A new feature here at Cippin at Sports: NFL Quick Hits will provide a few links to popular and interesting stories relating to the NFL.
- ESPN is laying the hammer down on twittering. Adam Schefter must be devastated by news as he is joining the worldwide leader later this month.
- Football Outsiders came up with a metric for measuring catch rate: Receiver Plus/Minus. Part 2 which will analyze the results and tell you what it all means will be out later this week.
- Peter King doesn’t think Ramses Barden will make an impact during his rookie season after spending time at Giants camp.
- Larry Johnson looks rejuvenated at Chiefs camp.
- Look for Michael Vick to land east of the Mississippi.
- Jason Campbell is taking charge on the field.
- Esquire interviews Vince Young.
- Bear Goggles On has a fun, interesting article about William “The Refrigerator” Perry as a G.I. Joe.
- See how the Eagles and Martin Scorsese are related courtesy of Inside the Iggles.